History - Cluster Ecoturístico de Jarabacoa

The name “Jarabacoa” comes from the indigenous Taino language meaning “place where the water flows.”

about-jarabacoa-history

Before the Spaniards arrived Jarabacoa was populated by Taino natives near the Yaque del Norte, Jimenoa, Baiguate and Guanajuma Rivers. According to historical data hundreds of crystal pure springs existed in the area.

Early Spaniards arrived to the area in search of gold and silver but found none and left. In 1805 many natives came to area mountains to escape troop directed by Toussaint Louverture.

Later the same year the troops destroyed La Vega with fire, and many of their inhabitants escaped to the area.

Migration continued during the 1822-1844 Haitian occupation. Due to its strategic location between the Cibao and the South, Jarabacoa became a military post in 1854 belonging to La Vega.

The population at that time was approximately 2000. Two stood out as military heroes in the war for independence, Generals Jose Duran and Norberto Tiburcio, Jarabacoa was elevated to city status by President Pedro Santana on September 27, 1858.

  • Dominican Republic
  • CDCT
  • BID
  • USAID
  • Consejo Nacional de Competitividad